Content Last Updated on February 2, 2017
So you’re living away from home for the first time. You either can’t be bothered cooking or you don’t know how to. NEVER FEAR DEAR FRESHER! Scotcampus are here with three easy as pie (no pun intended) recipes that are quick, tasty and won’t cost you an evening’s drinking money to create – just an added bonus…
700ml full fat milk
1 onion, peeled and halved
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 bay leaf
5g butter, plus a little extra for greasing
50g plain flour
175g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 teaspoon English mustard
50g parmesan, grated
50g coarse white breadcrumbs
1. In a small pan, warm the milk, onion, garlic and bay leaf until almost boiling. Remove from the heat, leave covered to infuse for 10 mins, then strain. Cook the macaroni according to pack instructions until al dente. This will take about 10 mins. Drain in a colander, then run under the tap and stir to stop the pasta sticking together.
2. Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 and butter a (roughly) 25 x 18cm ovenproof dish. Melt the butter in the medium pan. When foaming, add the flour, then cook, stirring constantly, for 1 min on a low heat.
3. Slowly stir the warm infused milk into the butter and flour mixture until smooth. Simmer for 3-4 mins, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened and has a coating consistency (run your finger through the sauce on a spoon – it should leave a trail). Remove the pan from the heat, then add the cheddar and mustard powder. Season, then stir until the cheese has melted.
4. Mix the cheese sauce through the macaroni to coat it well, then tip into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the parmesan and breadcrumbs over the top, then bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown and bubbling. Serve piping hot.
1 8-inch flour tortilla
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
3 tablespoons grated cheese
3 tablespoons drained canned diced pineapple in juice
1. Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Place tortilla on a medium non-stick baking sheet and bake for 2 to 4 minutes per side until crisp. If air bubbles form while baking, poke them with a fork, then use a spatula or oven glove to carefully press the air out.
2. Remove from oven and top evenly with sauce, cheese and pineapple.
3. Bake pizza for 2 to 4 minutes longer until cheese is completely melted and serve.
1 chicken breast, cut into strips
1 tablespoon oil to fry
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 red or green pepper, sliced thinly
4 mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon tomato purée
4 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon chilli flakes or chilli powder
4 tortilla wraps
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions and garlic. Fry for 3–4 minutes. Add the chicken pieces and fry until cooked through. Then add the peppers and the mushrooms.
2. Add the tomato purée, water and the chilli, stir well and cook for a further 2 minutes to allow the flavours to mix.
3. Divide among the 4 wraps and add the toppings of your choice – perhaps a little salad, grated cheese, refried beans, sour cream, salsa or guacamole?